It has been an eventful week, hasn’t it?
We have had a massive and entertaining four show crossover event, boys ended up stealing the show in a couple of our favorite shows, and if you are not watching KDramas, than you do not know what you are missing.
I may have my issues with all of the CW Superhero shoes for various reasons, but I have to admit their Crisis on Earth X crossover event had me glued to my seat. IT even made me tear.
Let’s just get to the overall plot, shall we? It is Iris and Barry’s wedding. Like any wedding, something goes wrong. Usually, it is a drunk uncle cussing out someone or throwing up on the cake. That would just be too easy in the DC universe. What goes down is truly epic. The doppelgangers for Ollie and Kara, along with Harry #1, invade Earth 1, why…to kidnap Kara in order to save Earth X Kara. This Kara is suffering from sun poisoning and at any moment she may go nuclear.
This invasion does not go according to plan. They failed to factor all of the heroes on the Earth 1 and their desire to keep humanity safe, not underfoot as the Superheroes of Earth X do.
There were fun moments, like Alex and Sara hooking up after the rehearsal dinner and then kicking ass together as they went to town on the Nazis in Earth X and on Earth 1. It seems like there is no long term romance for these two, but their friendship has been solidified.
The sad moments revolved around Dr. Stein and Jefferson. We knew from the get go that Dr. Stein wanted to end his partnership with Jefferson so he could spend time with his wife, daughter, and grandchild. He even devised, with the help of the other scientists, with a way to allow Jefferson to still be a Legend. But, Jefferson was struggling with the idea of losing the only father figure he has ever had. When Stein hears what has made Jefferson struggle over the last few days it makes him understand why Jefferson has been distant. But, he ultimately proves his love for Jefferson when he gets show multiple times and is mortally wounded as he tries to protect Jefferson and everyone else. He asks Jefferson to take a concoction that would cut their bond and end his own life. Victor Garber did a wonderful job as he said his goodbye to Jefferson and the Legends of Tomorrow.
Actually, no one really dies in these shows…since there are so many earths. I’m guessing we will see him again.
The surprising moments were much more plentiful:
- Barry let Original Harry go….to terrorize another day.
- Ollie killed his fuhrer doppelganger.
- Leonard Snart, well his Earth X version, is back on the Waverider and being highly sympathetic to his brother. But, he let his love, The Ray aka Russell Tovey (who will hopefully be back).
- Barry and Iris finally got married.
- After Ollie failed to get a yes out of Felicity…Ollie and Felicity got married.
Now, is the marriage of Olicity legal? Not sure, since there was no marriage certificate. But, with Ollie being a Mayor…I am sure this issue will be rectified.
This crossover event is the reason why the CW was the standout of the week. Between this and Riverdale, which played with presenting a show that hinted at potential future horror storylines with a zombie deer and the Candy Man scaring the bejeezus out of Juggie and Archie. We ended up learning a lot about the adults. The Sheriff and The Mayor are hooking up, which dispels the idea that Betty had of him…being the Black Hood. Now, while Juggie being under the thumb of a snake charmer may be the worst thing to happen to the Jones family and all those that love him. It was the story revolving around Josie, the Pussycats, Cheryl, the Mayor, and Chuck. Josie wants to evolve musically and she has her chance via Cheryl. But, that means she has to sneak behind the Pussycats. When they catch wind of her plan, they drop her like a wet towel. That leaves her in Cheryl’s line of sight. Unfortunately for Josie and Chuck, Cheryl is trying to be the only person that Josie can rely on. Cheryl is truly up to no good.
Ultimately, this was all to show that everything that was going on was a test by the Black Hood and apparently Riverdale failed. Dun, dun, dun…
Second is more of a lumping in…there were two shows that had these two young actors that stole the episode. In Mr. Robot, Elliot is ready to end it all, until the little brother of Trenton. Mohammad forces Elliot to go to the movies and then follow him to a mosque. Throughout their discussions, you learn a lot about how Elliot feels. He, like Angela, is broken. But through his discussions with Mohammad…he finds a purpose. He has to redeem Trenton and Norm. He has to help Angela. He has to undo what has been done. He even goes to Angela to try to talk to her. That last scene made me all teary.
That little boy commanded all his scenes. Keep and eye out for him.
The other boy to make note of is Martin, Oswald’s little sidekick on Gotham. As Gotham teeters on the cusp of war, Martin is used as a pawn. But, Penguin will not allow his little protegé to go up in flames. That little boy, as he confesses to Penguin, as he is kidnapped, and as he is ushered unknowingly to his death, you just want to take care of him.
So, as Sofia teams up with Barbara, Tabitha, and Selina, they learn that Oswald do anything to keep his power and that means it’s on like Donkey Kong. It’s war!
However, they do not know one thing…there is a power growing in Gotham and Lee (with the help of Ed Nygma) is orchestrating this power surge. Will she be thrown into the war for Gotham? Also, will she lose her right hand man, now that his little friend has come back to sit on his left shoulder?
This episode was a great episode for Gotham, but it still pales Crisis on Earth X. Just sayin’
Outlander was amazing! I just saw it! You could have knocked me over with a feather when Geillis and Lord John popped up in Jamaica.
This just spells doom and it did.
Geillis has big plans for Scotland and it involves three sapphires. One of which Jamie stole from the treasure chest, Geillis learns of Jamie’s connection to the missing Sapphire, the sapphire he gave to Lord John.
Guess what…Lord John pops up. He is the bloody Governor of Jamaica. When he sees Jamie…Claire could see what we know. He loves Jamie. I mean the man is carrying around the sapphire that Jamie gave him. He was just asking for trouble and he got it when Geillis saw that sapphire…her sapphire.
Of course, this was not the worst of it. Who else popped up? Captain Leonard and he arrested Jamie.
Now, the most heartbreaking scene involved the slave trade. The way they treated those poor people, it was so hard to watch.
The most fun show to watch this week was Dirk Gently. The scattered pieces have started to come together. Dirk has solved the case (via the hidden mural that shows us that the Cardenas had two sons. One they rescued from the boat and is presently at Black Wing in a coma. They need to get him to the land that he dreamed up.) and has recruited the Rowdy four to save Todd and Amanda, but they still have to contend with the nutty Suzie….who has learned to use the pool of foresight…or whatever that thing is called. Back in the normal universe, Tina and Farah go off to find out where Hobbs is. But, the Mage popped up…this is not good.
It was nice to see Ken taking the brass ring and owning the new operation as Friedkin is still at a loss about everything. However, contending with Priest and Friedkin and the possibility of crossing paths with Bart again…what will he do???
Now, there are two shows you should seek out.
- Hulu’s Runaways – This show is Marvel’s first foray in the Hulu world and it is based on the west coast and revolves around a group of kids who find out their parents are involved in a Scientology-like organization. They witnessed their parents kill a teen girl. That teen girl’s death is supposed to help this flaky old entity that is locked up in a room at a sanctuary. But we learn more about the adults in the second episode and they are all screwed up and at least a third of them want out of this weird religious order. We also see these kids start to gel together and pair off into couples and bond as siblings. It is filled with a lot of head turning moments. The leader of the church getting intimate with the entity….and then there is a dinosaur.
- Dramafever’s Revolutionary Love – This is such a fun little Korean drama that follows Byun Hyuk, a son from an affluent family whose fortune comes from the food industry. He is a happy-go-lucky guy that did nothing. Unfortunately, after a series of missteps his father kicks him to the curb. Who saves him from living on the streets, but his childhood friend. This friend is friends with Baek Joon. A beautiful and smart young lady that refuses to do full-time work due to what her later father went through. As she works part-time jobs to make ends meet, she decides to help Hyuk. Through mentoring him, Byun grows as a person and decides to help Joon(a) redeem her father’s good name. In doing so, he learns how corrupt his brother and father are. There are a lot of funny, sweet, screaming at your TV moments. It is only 16 episodes and only one season. Trust me…watch this.
So much good TV, but I am looking forward to the hiatus.