As the country is still wrapping it’s head around the post-election events. That is not the case for those of us who know when to move on to all things Geek.
The biggest news of the day revolved around Grant Morrison, the man who gave us Arkham Asylum, Happy, and Brave New World. He has signed a development and production deal with UCP.
His first project is to adapt The Invisibles. The show will follow an elite international cell of occult freedom fighters dedicated to the creation of a better world for everyone — by any means necessary. THR
Is Riverdale losing their Sheriff? Why am I asking that? Well, we learned Henderson Wade is joining the cast of Swamp Thing. He will be playing Matt Cable, a Louisiana lawman who finds himself in dire straits when supernatural evil threatens the town he’s sworn to protect. Deadline
The reboot bandwagon continues as The CW has decided to reboot The 4400. The show revolved around four thousand four hundred young adults who were in their reproductive prime that have gone missing all over the world. Some disappearances happened as recently as a few weeks ago, while others date as far back as the day the Soviets launched the Sputnik satellite in 1957. One day in 2019, all 4,400 show up at the sites of their original abductions. None of them have aged a day and none have any memory of where they’ve been. The so called “4400” must grapple with their return to a changed and hostile world and also contend with the reality that they’ve come back altered in ways that none of them yet understand.
The show will be written by Taylor Elmore, who will be acting as the showrunner. and Craig Sweeny, who will be executive producer of the series. Variety
Since Netflix in the first Global TV network, it stands to reason that we will be seeing a wide variety of new shows from different nations that all have to deal with what goes bump in the night…
Case in point, Alma.
BELÉN ATIENZA, SANDRA HERMIDA AND JESÚS DE LA VEGA TO PRODUCE ALMA, A YOUNG ADULT SUPERNATURAL DRAMA CREATED AND DIRECTED BY SERGIO G. SÁNCHEZ
- Logline: After surviving a bus crash that kills most of her classmates, Alma awakes with no memories of the incident or her past. Her parents seem like strangers and her home is a place filled with secrets and mystery. She gets the growing suspicion that everyone around her is lying, trying to turn her into someone else. Trapped in a world that doesn’t feel her own, she must unravel the events that led to the accident before her true identity vanishes forever.
- Writers: Sergio G. Sánchez (Marrowbone, The Orphanage ) Teresa de Rosendo (Sweet Home, U.C.O.) and Paul Pen (The Light of the Fireflies, The Warning).
- Producers: Belén Atienza (Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom, Marrowbone), Sandra Hermida (Arde Madrid, Marrowbone) and Jesús de la Vega (Intruders, Hierro)
- Quote Belén Atienza, Sandra Hermida and Jesús de la Vega: It is a joy and a privilege for us to be joining forces with Netflix to bring to the screen Sergio’s unique and groundbreaking universe. People all around the world will be thrilled and inspired by a harrowing storytelling that springs genuine emotions from the darkest places.
- Quote Sergio G. Sánchez: Alma explores my favourite themes; the journey from childhood to maturity, the threshold between life and death, the emotional space where fantasy merges with reality. Only this time within a broader canvas that will give me the opportunity to expand the narrative into multi layered, intertwined storylines with a bigger spectrum of characters. It’s going to be very exciting to bring this rich universe to life and I’m thrilled that Netflix is giving me the chance to reach a global audience with a Spanish language series that is deeply rooted in my own obsessions as a storyteller.
- Episodes: 10 episodes 50’ each
- Principal photography & global release on Netflix: 2020
And then there is…Ragnarok. Not to be confused with Marvel’s Ragnarok.
FROM THE CREATOR OF BORGEN AND RIDE UPON THE STORM COMES RAGNAROK, A NEW NORWEGIAN NETFLIX ORIGINAL SERIES
SERIES TO BE SHOT IN NORWAY AND DENMARK DURING 2019
HOLLYWOOD, CALIF – Nov 7 2018 – Netflix today announced Ragnarok, a brand new six part original series from award winning writer, Adam Price, and produced by SAM productions.
Ragnarok is a new Norwegian original series from Netflix, the world’s leading entertainment service. The six part Norwegian language series unfold in the small fictional town of Edda in the middle of the vast and enthralling Norwegian countryside and is a modern day coming of age drama rooted in Norse mythology, set in a high school arena.
Ragnarok is produced by SAM Productions, a Danish screenwriter-based production company.
“It is a great pleasure to have a hand in creating the new Norwegian Netflix series. We believe that the Nordics have their own voice when it comes to storytelling, and we would like to help prove that with this large-scale series written by a Nordic team with writers from Norway, Sweden and Denmark,” said Adam Price, creator of Ragnarok. “The series has at its core an issue that not only people in the Nordics but people all over the world in an increasing degree are forced to respond to; our climate, which has in recent years undergone considerable changes. The ice caps are melting at a rate no one had anticipated. We go through long periods of drought. The winters are too warm. More and more frequently, we experience extreme cold bursts. In all ways extreme weather conditions. The world is changing, and some might claim that we’re headed towards a new Ragnarok. Unless someone intervenes in time… “
“I’m excited to introduce our new Netflix original from Norway and to bring the story of Norse Mythology to life in a modern-day context. Adam Price is such a talented storyteller and we look forward to sharing his amazing work with Netflix audiences around the world”, said Kelly Luegenbiehl, Vice President Originals Europe at Netflix.
The team behind Ragnarok
Adam Price is one of Denmark’s most talented and renowned writers. He is responsible for several critically acclaimed and award-winning TV series, including the BAFTA-winning Borgen and most recently Ride Upon the Storm, both of them series that have been sold to around 80 countries all over the world. On Ragnarok, Price will function as creator, writer and executive producer and is joined by the Norwegian co-executive producer and writer Simen Alsvik (Lilyhammer, Neste Sommer), executive producer Meta Louise Foldager Sørensen (Antichrist, Melancholia) and producer Stine Meldgaard Madsen (Pros and Cons, Something’s Rockin’).
About SAM Productions
SAM Productions is a Danish screenwriter-based production company with the ambition of working with the strongest talent from the world of TV series and feature films, creating stories for a large audience both in Denmark and abroad. SAM Productions was founded in 2014 by creator of The Killing, Søren Sveistrup, Adam Price and Meta Louise Foldager.
We have two new promos for Syfy’s NightFlyers: