It has been a while since I posted.
There were a lot of family oriented things happening in my life that had to take precedent.
But, it is a new year and we must trudge ahead.
I did watch a bit of TV during my time away. I know that I bitched and moaned about Star Trek: Discovery, but after the first two pilot episodes and Jason Isaacs as the Captain on the new ship and with all of his dark and twisted motives…I fell for the show. Go figure.
It is one of the shows I am looking forward to seeing in 2018.
- The Magicians. The darker, the better…and with the loss of magic, all the more better.
- Legion. FX’s trippy take on a Marvel character made TV fun. Now, with our love birds separated, it will be interesting to see if they find their way to one another again.
- Westworld. When we last saw our favorites, they just killed off Ford at a gala. You know you want to know what happens next.
- The Alienist. I love period dramas. I love NYC. I love the hunt for a serial killer. This is the show for me.
- Kingdom. Korean dramas and zombie movies are a guilty pleasure of mine. This tale is a zombie thriller in the Joseon period. You had me at hello.
- Good Omens. Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett’s beloved novel…nuff said.
- A Discovery of Witches. The first book was great, the last two kind if let me down…but the beauty and curse of adapting a novel is that they can punch it up and move the pace along at a fun pace. Let’s hope this happens.
- Altered Carbon. Honestly, I believe tales like these may end up true. This is about a futuristic series where the human mind can be digitized and downloaded into a “cortical stack” and placed into new bodies called sleeves.
- Philip K. Dick’s Electric Dreams. It’s an anthology series that adapts the short stories by Dick. If you love the Twilight Zone and Black Mirror, how can you say no?
- X-Files. Which premiered tonight. Que doozy…I will get to that in a bit.
- Jessica Jones. You may like Wonder Woman, but I love Jessica. She is an everyday woman who is battling her own inner demons as she tries to keep NYC safe and those that come to her for help.
- Krypton. I am not a big fan of the DC movies. But, for some reason TV adaptations of anything comic-related generally do well (barring Iron Fist and Agents of S.H.I.E.LD.), so I want to see how the prequel plays itself out and ties itself into the DCCU.
Then there are the return of our old standby’s that may need to kick it up a notch as all these shows and other newcomers are fighting for viewers.
Let me go back to the X-Files. There was a moment where I felt like I was watching the love child of Mr. Robot and Black Mirror come to life. We come to learn that what we went through at the very end of the last episode we saw, was just a vision that Scully was having. The visions are debilitating and forcing her and Mulder to race to find their son, William. But, like always, there is more at play. Everyone wants William. And even though we had a reveal at the end…I can’t really believe that last statement. There is more to it. That is the fun of these types of shows. The truth is out there…and we just need to follow Mulder and Scully to it.
To tell you the truth, I love the moments where Mulder and Scully are together.
There has been a lot of talk of Gillian Anderson leaving the show. In my honest opinion, this concept will not function if you remove either Scully or Mulder. They are what make you want to keep watching. Period.
The other tragic bit of news we got over the break was that Dirk Gently was cancelled by BBC America. I am shaking my head. That channel is so limited in its programming. They should just chuck it and add BritBox as a premium channel. Hopefully, fans will rally around thus fun a quirky show and it gets a new home on Netflix or some other channel.
That last season was amazing. What were you thinking BBC America?
I also caught up with the Runways on Hulu and I have to admit that this little show has a lot of twists and turns as it also follows the typical High School narratives of love and love lost, disillusionment of the family you thought you knew and all the other fun stuff kids go through during adolescence. The fun part is that these kids have solidified and even given themselves a team name. Yet, with family that no one can trust…they have no one to turn to but to one another. The big question is…will they survive or will they somehow find a way to topple Jonah and save their families, their city…even the world.
On a bright side, the Golden Globes are around the corner. The 7th to be exact. And the nominees are impressive and it is hard to pick who I think will win. If you want to see the nominees, go here.
The other bright news is that fan fave, Robbie Amell, will be back on the small screen. Deadline, stated that the actor will be in a show titled Upload. In it, people are allowed to put their consciousness “into their preferred choice of afterlife” (or “upload” them). His character meets the love of his life, Nora, in heaven. But, we will follow the two as they live in this dream state.
I will be back with the movies that I cannot wait to see…