A lot of news dropped over the last week that may be of interest to you…
1. Netflix – Are you binging on The Punisher? Frank is such a broken man and as a result, the show is dark. Take your time with it. On a happier note, Netflix has acquired Super-Normal – a character-driven, subversive take on a genre that Hollywood and the rest of the world loves too much. Daisy Ridley and Luke Evans are co-starring on the project. (THR)
I am guessing that with Netflix losing all of their Disney-related shows and movies in 2019, they are grabbing whatever popular comic-fare there is. That is not intended to come across as desperate. It is interesting to see what their thought process is.
Next, we catch wind. via Deadline, that Ellen Page will be the lead in the adapted version of Gerard Way’s The Umbrella Academy. This title is owned by Dark Horse Comics.
I wonder what is next for Netflix.
2. Pottermore – We got our first glimpses of the next chapter in the Fantastic Beasts franchise:
Images courtesy of: Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald. Warner Bros. via Pottermore
The cool things about these images:
- I have already marked my calendar! But, the kicker is…do you see something familiar in the title? Is there a wand, a circle, and a triangle hidden in plain sight? Yes, we see the Deathly Hallows! How do they play into the story…especially where we have…
- …Dumbledore in the movie! Yes, Jude Law is Dumbledore. I have loved him since Gattaca. So, I am thrilled!
3. Ryan Reynolds was up to his fun shenanigans last week.
Yes, Deadpool payed homage to Bob Ross! This made my day when it dropped. But, what was even more funny was the synopsis for the Deadpool 2:
After surviving a near fatal bovine attack, a disfigured cafeteria chef (Wade Wilson) struggles to fulfill his dream of becoming Mayberry’s hottest bartender while also learning to cope with his lost sense of taste. Searching to regain his spice for life, as well as a flux capacitor, Wade must battle ninjas, the yakuza, and a pack of sexually aggressive canines, as he journeys around the world to discover the importance of family, friendship, and flavor – finding a new taste for adventure and earning the coveted coffee mug title of World’s Best Lover.
Somewhere in there, we will have Cable. So, of course…this is on my must watch list for 2018!
4. The CW/DC Universe’s Black Lightning will premiere on January 16.
5. Comics are fodder for entertainment. It is already set-up with story lines and story-boarding. Basically, all they have to do is find the right actors to portray the much beloved characters and tweak a story to fit a two hour movie. So, it makes sense that FOX is wanting to expand their X-Men universe. What is surprising is that James Franco has his hands all over this expansion. However, it is not like they are tackling a well-known character (for me, that is). No. They are going to work on Multiple Man. For more info, go to Syfy.
6. So, Justice League technically did not do as well as expected. Are you surprised, not me. I did not watch it. While, I root for Wonder Woman. I am not a fan of Zach Snyder’s DC Movie Universe. They are over produced and the stories are not engaging. Mind you, Joss Whedon worked on the script.
7. Another comic book getting the big screen/small screen treatment is Danger Girl. It follows adventurer-turned-reluctant-spy Abbey Chase via Deadline.
8. The Magicians will be back in January and we got our first preview:
9. X-Files fans – The Show will return on Fox on Wednesday, Jan. 3 .
10. Casting News:
Also, Skyler Samuels is set for a key recurring role in Fox’s Marvel drama series The Gifted. She will play a refugee mutant with telepathic abilities and a mysterious past. (Deadline)
11. Syfy is expanding their comic-based TV fare with it’s new Pilot Deadly Class.
Imagine Riverdale High was a school for training assassins. The show is based in the 80’s in San Francisco and focuses on a group of kids being trained to be assassins.
Would you watch this show?